"Wherefore, whithersoever they shall send you, go ye, and I will be with you; and in whatsoever place ye shall
proclaim my name an effectual door shall be opened unto you, that they may receive my word."
- Doctrine & Covenants 112:19

Monday, November 3, 2014

'The Plan would be frustrated'


Well it was a great week! :)

We have been doing office stuff all week though so we haven't been able to teach as much as we would like to but we have had great experiences nonetheless. I don't have a lot of time left so this is going to be really short but that's okay!

Joelle and Alissa got baptized! We got to skype Joelle's baptism. It was way cool! She is really strong.

I had a neat experience on Saturday. We were at our desk assignment and right when we were about to leave, I started talking with these three people. One was from Puerto Rico, and I always like talking to people from there because Dad served there. We were small talking and the daughter and I started talking while the father and other lady were talking. She told me how she wanted to go on a mission but got married instead, and her husband is inactive and she questions whether she should have gone on a mission or gotten married. I had found a scripture the day before that popped into my mind so I shared it with her: "And thou didst hear me because of mine afflictions and my sincerity; and it is because of thy Son that thou hast been thus merciful unto me, therefore I will cry unto thee in all mine afflictions, for in thee is my joy; for thou hast turned thy judgments away from me, because of thy Son." And she just cried. She said that she hasn't been going to church lately because it's just easier to spend time with him and doesn't want to create tension but I just testified of the importance of doing the little things, going to church, praying, and reading. She said she was going to go to church this Sunday and I told her I would pray for her husband and her. She is way sweet and I hope that things will start to work out!

For Halloween, we got to have dinner in the Church Office Building (we had a potato bar) and then go to the Temple as a mission after. It was way cool, I've never had an experience like that. It was literally so full of sisters, it was the neatest things to see 180 sisters dressed in the Temple. I don't know how we all fit into the same session but we did! The spirit was so strong and it was way cool to have President and Sister Poulsen there too. It was the best Halloween ever.

Funny story...yesterday in Staff meeting, we were talking about our Christmas Schedules and ideas we could incorporate and we were talking about Caroling every night and he was asking if they would just sing without music and my companion was joking around about beat boxing and my mission president started beat boxing (by saying boots and cats and boots and cats) we all DIED. Literally one of the funniest things I have ever seen!! He is in his 70's and he's beatboxing haha. Today I asked him if I could record him doing it and he laughed so hard and said yes. That will be the best video ever!

On Saturday, we were serving in the West Gate booth when this man walked up. His name is Frank. He was asking whee he could get a warm meal. We told him that there were shelters around, but that we didn't know too much information. He then told us how he is inactive, and all the horrible trials that happened to him. He bore his testimony to us! We were able to give him a bishop's number and talk for a long time about the Gospel. It was cool because he testified of the Word of Wisdom and how he knows he needs to live it. We encouraged him to go back to the Temple and gave him a quote about why bad things happen to good people: "[these things happen] to give you opportunity to respond by applying in your life the teaching of Jesus Christ. As you do so, you are changed to become more like Him...without opposition, the plan would be frustrated." I'm not sure if I have shared that before but it was perfect for him. We shared also, "the best paths in life are rarely the easiest" and told him to look up the talk 'I Will Not Fail Thee, Nor Forsake Thee' by President Monson and to read a chapter in the Book of Mormon. It was the neatest thing to see because his countenance was completely changed from when he walked up to the window. The spirit really spoke to hm and he was so happy when he left! We are looking forward to talking more with him and helping him become active again.

Well that's about all the time that we have. I just want you to know how important the First Vision is to me. I am so grateful for that account. I know that Joseph Smith was a humble servant of God that actually saw God the Father and Jesus Christ in answer to his prayer. He was called to be a Prophet, to teach the people what they need to do in order to be happy, and to teach them that there is a God and a Savior of the World, and that there is a plan for us. Through him, keys and ordinances were restored that make it possible for us to be with our families for eternity. Heaven wouldn't be heaven without my family. It's possible through Jesus Christ. I know that we have a Savior that knows us! Because of Him, literally nothing is impossible. (Watch this video!) I am so grateful to know that this Gospel has been restored. I know we can see the miracles that come from it every day.

I invite you to tell someone this week how important the Restoration is to you! :)

Have a wonderful week and tell me about the experiences you have when you do that!

love,



p.s. attached are pictures from the halloween dinner!


No comments:

Post a Comment