"Wherefore, whithersoever they shall send you, go ye, and I will be with you; and in whatsoever place ye shall
proclaim my name an effectual door shall be opened unto you, that they may receive my word."
- Doctrine & Covenants 112:19

Friday, October 4, 2013

MTC Teaching Experience

So last week, our very first investigator was Lawanna. A black lady from Arkansas who moved out here to receive treatment at Huntsman Cancer Center. So basically we bombed the lesson. It's pretty funny... it'll give you a good laugh. So we knock on the door and she lets us in and we sit down. Usually, we would get to know them, make them feel comfortable and that we care about them... but for some reason my companion just blurted out "what's your relationship with God?" So she was on edge the whole time. I also forgot she was a member referral and asked her why she wanted to meet with us and she said, y'all knocked on my door!" I was like oh....crap ha. Then I tried to go back to get to know her and I stupidly asked her "What type of cancer do you have?" where she proceeded to tell us this was awkward and that she was just 'sick'. So THEN we're trying to figure out her needs and what we are going to teach her but she is so closed off so there were a lot of awkward pauses. Then she basically just asked why were there and I told her how God loves her and we love her and want to help her come closer to Christ and how it will bring her happiness. Then she said how awkward it was how we came into her home and only know her for 20 minutes and are telling her we love her haha oh man I was dying. Then we find out that she won't pray because she feels like God didn't answer her prayer... so I tried to explain that God answers all prayers, but sometimes it's not the answer or the time frame we would like and how he is aware of Her and loves her and she cuts me off and goes, "oh it's too late, she dead!" (in her black voice) I guess she prayed to ask God not to take her Mom, but she died. Man. Then my companion shared the Bible Dictionary definition of Prayer and had her read it. Well that was bad because it says in there that sometimes God doesn't answer prayers because we don't end in the name of Jesus Christ so she freaked out and said that we were telling her that her mom died because she didn't say in the name of Jesus Christ... haha gosh this is a long story. But it was a train wreck and it got worse and worse. We did an awful job of listening to the Spirit and getting to know her. So Monday, we met with her again (by a miracle, she let us back) and it was a different story. We had prayed and studied for her and the Spirit was so strong! We asked inspired questions that made her cry, and she actually prayed with us in the lesson! The difference was night and day. She is going to read the Book of Mormon too I think. We'll see!

Anyway I hope that wasn't too long just thought you needed a good laugh. All the rest of the lessons we have taught have been pretty amazing! It's so great to see change in people.

I love being a missionary and I love all of you. So does God.


No comments:

Post a Comment